Wednesday, April 10, 2019

Critical reflection

I have enjoyed the time from the past 13 weeks taking effective communications module. My initial impression before beginning was that the course would be similar to polytechnic's effective communication course which improve English skills such as grammar or spelling, I was therefore relieved to discover that we would tackle real communication scenarios within the context of our future work such as writing a technical report. Compared to other academically-inclined modules, effective communication actually gave me the closest impression of what my work scope would be like as a future civil engineer.

The process of preparing a technical report was a particularly fresh one for me. I appreciated that developing a good technical report requires me to work well with my group members. The process of creating a good technical report also requires in-depth researches and understandings, and also a great interest in that particular area. I appreciate having a team with a different perspective to share. However, there will be some challenges faced in every group work, with great teamwork and mentality to solve problems, every doubt will be a learning process.

I feel that Wei Wen's team has prepared a significant amount of time which they deserved to be pitching in the showcase on the very last lesson. Their efforts have not been wasted, which they landed themselves on the 2nd place. My team, however, during the actual presentation, did not fulfill the minimum time which cost us some grades. Overall the experience is enjoyable to pitch our original idea to the rest of the class. I hope that the skills I have learned during these 13 weeks will not disappoint me in my future report writing.

4 comments:

  1. Hey YongXing,

    Thanks for sharing with me your reflection.
    I also feel that the preparation of a technical report was rather new and also enjoyed myself during this group work.
    I believe these 13 weeks will only be beneficial to us in the future!

    Good luck with the Math paper!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Yong Xing

    I am glad how this module scope has benefited you for writing a proper technical report and preparing you for your future work.
    Thank you Yong Xing, I am really happy to see my group's efforts being acknowledged!
    Happy belated birthday and may you achieve your desired results in SIT!

    Cheers
    Wei Wen

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Yong Xing,

    Thank you for this fairly detailed reflection and for the very good effort at developing your skills throughout the term. I’m happy to read that you felt the work we did was similar in nature to some of the demands you will face in your future workplace and that you benefitted from the project.

    It was a pleasure working with you. All the best as you continue your learning journey at SIT.

    Brad

    ReplyDelete